Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Me vs. Barre

Over the last 4 years of competition training I've done my share of different cardio sessions and workouts, but I've never tried BARRE....until today!



My girlfriend and I took on the Barre (literally) and even though we were shaking like we were overdosing on caffeine, we dominated. It was tough and worked muscles I haven't felt since I was a dancer. Without looking at the definition of a Barre workout, I would say Barre is a mixture of pilates and ballet movements. There are 5 pieces of equipment involved;  a small rubber ball, 2 sets of mini weights, a rubber exercise band and a mat. In the span of 60 minutes you use all of these while working every single body part.  Most of the class is about using your own body weight and constantly working your core.  Where does the barre come into play?  For many of the exercises you are bracing yourself, pushing or pulling on a ballet barre to execute the movements.  By the half way point I was sweating my booty off and there was a constant burn of lactic acid running through my whole body. (LOVE THAT!)

I highly recommend this workout for those of you who need to stay away from high-impact exercising or for those who want to add a stretching/toning class to your current routine. What to wear- Tight exercise pants and a tank top or t-shirt. They have special socks you can buy that have grippers on the bottom so you don't slip. What to bring- Water, a small sweat towel and a hair tie. If you have all of this, you are read to rock!

Remember that working out doesn't have to be a drag or work, you CAN have fun.  Google Barre Fitness or Pure Barre for your closest studio, you won't regret it!

Whats next on the list you ask? haha....learning the art of POLE Fitness! I hope to have pictures of that one- and mostly of me falling on my head or just laughing so hard I can't function.

Live, Laugh and Rock it
Missy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment