Sunday, September 30, 2012

FOOTBALL SEASON = Fat trap?


As you know..it's FOOTBALL SEASON!!  We all know-it isn't football without chips & any kind of delicious dip you can imagine, beer(s), pizza, wings...and the list goes on.  This is why football is a FAT TRAP. My goal is to give you some ideas to make your Saturdays or Sundays (or both) a little more healthy and to avoid a hibernation gut in a couple months. 



My big football day is Saturdays- if you don't know by now, I am a SEMINOLE alumni & super fan.  So just like the rest of my year, I use Saturday to have my treat meal.  And once again, just like the rest of my year I make sure my treat includes Protein, Carbs, Fat and my glass of Vino!  Even with those guidelines, it is easy to go overboard when you're
surrounded by friends & rooting for the next touch.  

So to make sure I get to indulge in my favorite football snacks and still keep my body in check, I have found and mixed up a few healthier versions of the dreaded but delicious football fat traps.

I'm a dip girl....any thing spicy, creamy, cheesy is my favorite so I found a 
few healthy versions of my favorites! 

Spinach Dip from SHAPE.com
ingredients
1⁄2
c
onion, finely chopped
2

10-ounce packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1

8-ounce package fat-free cream cheese
1

8-ounce carton light sour cream
3⁄4
c
Parmesan cheese
1

14-ounce can artichoke hearts
1⁄4
t
salt (optional)
1
c
reduced-fat jack cheese, shredded


black pepper to taste


Crushed red pepper flakes to taste


Cooking spray
instructions
Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray. Cook and stir onion over medium heat until transparent (about 5 minutes).
Add spinach. Cook until thoroughly heated (about 1-2 minutes). Reduce heat; add cream cheese. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and artichokes. Remove from heat.
Season with red and black pepper and salt, if desired. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Top with jack cheese and heat in the microwave until cheese melts. Serve warm with reduced-fat crackers or chips of your choice.

                                                           HOT crab dip from Cookinglight.com
Ingredients
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallots
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed, divided
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 cup canola mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons panko
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Place 1 cup crab in a food processor. Add the shallot mixture, 1/4 cup water, pepper sauce, and Cajun seasoning to crab; process until smooth. Spoon mixture into a large bowl, and stir in remaining crab, mayonnaise, and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper).
3. Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart glass or ceramic casserole dish coated lightly with cooking spray. Combine panko and chives in a small bowl; sprinkle over crab mixture. Coat panko mixture with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes.
Stay tuned for more healthy recipes for the rest of this football season!!
Live, Laugh and CHOP....I mean ROCK it!

No comments:

Post a Comment